Saturday, January 19, 2008

The Greatest Gift of All

Many of us, since our age of reason, have been indoctrinated to follow the belief that it is better to give than to receive. We try so hard to adhere to this belief that we learn to suppress our true feelings in order to do what we feel is right. The innate reality is that many of us are dying to be on the receiving end.

We want attention, affection, concern, comfort and to feel validated. We go out of our way to buy someone nice gift just so we can give them a smile and a reminder of their importance to us. We give flowers and other trinkets just so someone else can feel loved and/or appreciated. We give our time just so someone can feel that we are concerned about them. But we often hide taboo feelings and emotions that every time we give and do not receive, we are left feeling deprived and somewhat discontented.

Is it so wrong that we want to receive every now and then? Is it wrong that we get tired of non reciprocated giving? Is it wrong that we want the attention to be on us from time to time? We scream inside when we feel neglected but we continue to give because we've been taught that it is the right thing to do.

I have decided to counter this feeling of emptiness by giving something important to someone important. I have decided to give myself a voice. I have decided to speak up when I feel unappreciated or otherwise discontented. I know all too well that there will be people unable to handle my stance, but here's my gift to them...tolerance, honesty and the option to leave.

No comments: