Sunday, August 19, 2007

I'm Sorry

Being the music lover that I am, I came across a song today that really sent me on a voyage of deep thought:

Ain't It Funny (by Heather Headley)
Tried to leave me broken and confused, You tried to hurt me
Throw me out like something used, But now your back and you need me for everything
To help you, and keep you, hold you and need ya
Oh, how things have changed
Ain't it funny how life goes around
Same people you meet goin' up, You see them coming down
But ain't it funny how you can need me now
Same women [or Man] you miss-treated is your everything now
Tryin' to find a place in my heart to forgive you
Maybe some old memory will make me care for you
Seeing you this way oh, makes me wanna cry
To help you, to hold you, love you and teach you
There are rules of life, ain't it funny
What goes around, see it always comes around
And I know I don't serve, it's gotta come down
Don't you know you reep what you sow
Baby that is what I know, You need me just like I needed you

So many times we take people and things for granted until we find that we are without them. On the other hand, sometimes we put so much time and effort into searching for what we think we want or need that we fail to realise what we actually have. I remember a story someone once told me about a man who was on a quest to be rich, so he decided to pack up his possessions, sell his land and go searching for gold in a mine he had heard about. The person that purchased his land, while digging to put down a foundation for a building, discovered oil. The man never found gold but the guy that bought his land did become a billionaire.

In reality we sometimes tend to neglect our 'true' friends out of the desire to befriend persons that could care less that we exist. We mistreat the persons that show us love while we are willing to make a fool out of ourselves for the ones we want to love. We neglect to maintain that faithful and dependable "raggedy" old car while we dream of having newer, less driven, less tested model.

But amidst all this, when we 'hit a low' and 'come to our senses', we seldom pace backwards, make amends and say we're sorry. We don't say it to that person, and we don't admit it to ourselves. We just brush the past aside and carry on as though that person that in reality we've hurt was duty bound to rescue us from our own self-inflicted calamities.

We seemingly forget how powerful that little five letter word can be and how remarkably significant the two word phrase "I'm sorry" can become. It is said that kind words can sooth the soul, however I am convinced that this phrase can empower.

Start small, and you will become great!

I'm sorry that I didn't notice the sky's beautiful shade of blue this morning, for tomorrow's will be different.
I'm sorry that I stepped on that ant on my way out of the door, for now his colony will be short one helper and one less meal.
I'm sorry I didn't let that other driver out of the corner on my way to work, s/he may now be late and lose their job.
I'm sorry I didn't call my friend today and say hello, s/he may have been in drastic need of a kind word.
I'm sorry I made you think so hard, for you may now be addicted to reading this blog.

No comments: